Thursday 31 May 2012

Favourite Five: Deborah Ahenkorah

To start off the month of June we bring you Favourite Five by Deborah Ahenkorah. Deborah is the Executive Director of The Golden Baobab Prize, an annual literary prize aimed at inspiring African Children's Literature. Her interview will be up on the blog next week.

She had this to say about her choices: "I read a lot of British and American literature. So the Enid Blytons of course, the Sweet Valley series, the Babysitters Club, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, etc. I also got into the Harlequins and Mills and Boons at some point, but let’s not talk about those, ahem. There was also a time when I loved short stories. My school library had a whole bunch of American literature readers with all these wonderful short stories that I could never get enough of. The result of all these books I read was that I always dreamed up fanciful ideas that were not particularly culturally appropriate. For instance, one time I tried to start a babysitters club, but abeg who was hiring? Or the time I was determined my life’s calling was to be an amateur detective in Accra. When I told my dad he laughed and said, “Eyah, my daughter wants to be a policewoman!”



No comments:

Post a Comment